Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A "Whosoever" Like Me

Who would have thought I'd be moved to tears reading a geneology?  But when it comes to the geneology of our Lord Jesus Christ, seeing names like Tamar and Rahab and Ruth and the "wife of Uriah" and Mary, how could I not be overcome?  The inclusion of these women shows that God is no respecter of persons.  He does not play favorites.  The way to get into God's family is not by having the right pedigree or a killer resume.  No, God is interested in the heart; the only qualifier is genuine faith in a sincere heart.

I am so incredibly thankful God is like this!  How I love Him for His goodness and kindness and generosity towards us all!  The world draws lines:  those who are "in" and those who are "out," the "somebodies" and the "nobodies."  I've felt the sting of being pronounced a "nobody."  I think that's why it melts my heart that God says "yes" to everyone who will have Him!  Not a begrudging "yes."  Not an "if I have to" weary "yes" with a long sigh that lets you know He would really rather not.  NO!  My God delights in grafting us--"losers," "have-nots," "untouchables," "ragamuffins," stained and sullied sinners with no redeeming qualities of our own--US, into His very own family.  He jumps up and down with joy and does cartwheels to open the gates of Heaven to the "least of these!"  Who is like the Lord our God?!?!?!

As I meditate on this truth, Acts 10:34-35 fills my mind.  Listen to these words of Peter:  "I know realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism but accepts men from every nation who fear Him and do what is right."

The Message captures the emotion that I feel:  "Peter fairly EXPLODED with his Good News:  "It's God's own truth, nothing could be plainer:  GOD plays no favorites!  It makes no difference WHO you are or WHERE you're from--if you want God and are ready to do what He says, THE DOOR IS OPEN!  The message He sent to the children of Israel--that through Jesus Christ EVERYTHING is being put together again--well, He's doing it EVERYWHERE, among EVERYONE!"

Perhaps the most beautiful word in John 3:16 is "whosoever,"  who. so. ever.  Whatever person, no matter who, if you are a "whosoever," God is for you, He loves you, and He longs to save you.

Thank You, Jesus, that You came for a "whosoever" like me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment